SmartTeams Play Safe™: Protecting the Health & Safety of the Whole Child in Youth Sports
Held On Monday, September 15, 2014
Joseph B. Martin Conference Center
Harvard Medical School
A groundbreaking conference for youth sports stakeholders which featured a stellar roster of national experts giving educational, "TED-talk"-style presentations on health and safety best practices. The summit coincided with the launch of MomsTEAM Institute’s innovative SmartTeam™ program implementing best practices in six pilot programs around the country during the fall of 2014.
Each speaker focused on specific ways youth sports programs can help young athletes play safe by being smart. Together, they offered a holistic approach to youth sports safety which addresses, not just a child’s physical safety, but emotional, psychological and sexual safety as well, and how, by following best practices, we can help make youth sports safer.
For full biographies of the speakers, click on their names. For full-length videos of each presenter's SmartTeam Talk, click on the titles.
Welcome and Opening Remarks
- Brooke de Lench, Executive Director, MomsTEAM Institute, Founder, MomsTEAM.com
- Lyle J. Micheli, M.D., Clinical Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at Harvard Medical School, O’Donnell Family Professor of Orthopaedic Sports Medicine and Director of the Division of Sports Medicine, Boston Children’s Hospital.
- Jim MacDonald. M.D., M.P.H., FAAFP, FACSM, Clinical Assistant Professor of Pediatrics and Family Medicine, The Ohio State University, Nationwide Children's Hospital, Division of Sports Medicine, Web Editor, Clinical Journal of Sports Medicine
- Brian Hainline, M.D., Chief Medical Officer, National Collegiate Athletic Association
- Tamara C. Valovich McLeod, Ph.D., ATC, FNATA, John P. Wood, D.O., Endowed Chair for Sports Medicine, Professor, Athletic Training Program, A.T. Still University
- Tracey Covassin, Ph.D., ATC, Associate Professor, Undergraduate Athletic Training Program Director, Michigan State University, Ron H. Walker, Ed.D., LAT, ATC, CSCS, Coordinator of Athletic Training Clinical Education, The University of Tulsa, Gary Wilkerson, Ed.D., ATC, Graduate Athletic Training Education Program, Department of Health & Human Performance, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, Marisa A. Colston, Ph.D., ATC, UC Foundation Professor of Health & Human Performance, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, Cynthia A. Trowbridge, Ph.D., ATC, LAT, CSCS, Associate Professor/Clinical Education Coordinator, Athletic Training Education Program, University of Texas at Arlington
- Rosemarie Moser, Ph.D., ABN, ABPP-RP, Director, Sports Concussion Center of New Jersey, author of “Ahead of the Game: The Parents’ Guide To Youth Sports Concussion.”
- Tracey Covassin, Ph.D., ATC, Associate Professor, Undergraduate Athletic Training Program Director, Michigan State University
- Douglas J. Casa, Ph.D., ATC, FACSM, FNATA, Professor, Department of Kinesiology, Director, Athletic Training Education, Chief Operating Officer, Korey Stringer Institute, Research Associate, Human Performance Laboratory at the University of Connecticut
- Allison Maurer, MS, RD, CSSD, CSCS, Sports Dietitian, University of Tennessee;
Orange Slices and Hot Dogs: How the food environment in youth sports undermines its health benefits and what to do about it
- Toben Nelson, ScD, Associate Professor, School of Public Health, Division of Epidemiology & Community Health, University of Minnesota
Injury Prevention in Youth Sports: Can We Increase Coaching Compliance and Design Cost-Effective Prevention Programs?
- Holly Silvers, MPT, Director of Research, Santa Monica Sports Medicine Foundation, FIFA Medical Center of Excellence
- Neeru Jayanthi, M.D., Associate Professor, Department of Family Medicine, Orthopaedic Surgery and Rehabilitation, Medical Director, Primary Care Sports Medicine, Loyola University Chicago, Stritch School of Medicine
- Rosalind Wiseman, best-selling author of Queen Bees and Wannabes and Masterminds and Wingmen: Helping Our Boys Cope With School Yard Power, Locker Room Tests, Girlfriends, and the New Realities of Guy World
- Joe Ehrmann, Former player, National Football League, Founder, Coach for America
- Katherine Starr, Two-time Olympic Swimmer, Founder and Executive Director, Safe4Athletes
The View From the Commissioner's Box: How Sports Officials Can Help Develop Athletes and Keep Them Safe
- Donald Collins, JD. Commissioner of Athletics, California Interscholastic Federation, San Francisco Section
- Douglas E. Abrams, JD, Professor of Law, University of Missouri School of Law
- Deron Colby, JD, Janus Capital Law Group, PC and Co-Founder Matthew Colby Foundation